Head and Neck radiology is a subspecialty of radiology that comprises diagnostic imaging and procedures performed by means of all cross-sectional techniques and conventional radiography of conditions involving all the anatomical structures in this region excluding the central nervous system, i.e., the brain and spinal cord and their associated vascular structures and encasing membranes. Multidisciplinary meetings involving the radiology and ENT departments, steered by the residents and facilitated by faculty, are held every week where challenging cases and patient management are discussed.
Related resident dissertations include the following:
Current research projects:
- Aywak Josephine A. (2021). Characterization of Thyroid Nodules using ACR 2017 TIRADS Classification System with Bethesda FNAC Correlation at Kenyatta National Hospital.
- Bhaiji, M.M. (2017). Choroidal thickness in the adult Kenyan population.
- Gathogo, M.M. (2016). The pattern of pathologies in B-scan ocular ultrasound at Kenyatta National Hospital.
- Nyakoe, D.K. (2015). Ultrasound elastography in the evaluation of solid thyroid nodules.
- Wangari, F.M. (2015). Incidental detection of sinus mucosal abnormalities on computed tomography scans of the head in Kenyatta National Hospital.
- Koima, M.J. (2014). Spectrum of findings in HRCT of temporal bone.
- Mzumara, S. (2012). Evaluating Chamberlain’s, McGregor’s, and McRae’s skull-base lines using multi detector computerised tomography.
- Muiri, G.W. (2009). Orbital tumours: A radiological and histological correlation.
- Khainga, K.A. (2007). The diagnostic role of ultrasonography in patients with thyroid gland enlargement at Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Thuku, J.N. (2007). Scintigraphic Patterns in Thyroid Disease in Nairobi.
- Bistoquet, J.J. (2007). The role of computed tomography in the staging of infrahyoid neck tumours.
- Omondi, C.A. (2006). Tumours and tumour-like conditions of the jawbones: A radiological and histological correlation.
- Muriithi, I.M. (2005). The Role of CT scan in imaging neck structures and lesions: Radiohistopathogic correlation.
- Senyagwa, L. (2002). Pattern of radiological imaging utilization in the diagnosis of maxillofacial skeletal trauma in Nairobi.
- Mugi, B.N. (2000). The pattern of disease in PNS as seen on CT scan.
- Meme, H.K. (1999). The role of plain skull films in the evaluation of head injury at KNH
- Nondi, F.O. (1991). The role of conventional radiology in the diagnosis of paranasal sinus disease in KNH.
- Maroo, S.V. (1988). Clinical-radiological aspects of maxillo-mandibular neoplasms with osseous manifestations at K.N.H., Kenya.